By Samantha Wohlfeil
Fire crews were able to put out a Chevrolet Caprice that caught fire Monday morning, July 30 at Haxton Way and Kwina Road.
The fire was caused by a vehicle malfunction, said Chief Dean Whitney of Whatcom County Fire District No. 8. The driver was not injured, but the car was totaled.
The driver reported that smoke started coming out through vents in the dash before the fire, Whitney said.
Via scanner traffic: About 8:10 a.m. Monday, crews were dispatched to reports of a vehicle on fire in a field off Haxton Way at Kwina Road. Reports of traffic backing up on Kwina Road.
Reports the fire was nearly extinguished were made about 8:19 a.m.